Is your home in need of repairs?
Is your landlord ignoring you?

Housing Disrepair Solicitors in Leeds and West Yorkshire

You are in good hands!

Do you live in a council or housing association accommodation in the Leeds or West Yorkshire area? If you request repairs from your landlord and they do not make them in a reasonable time frame, you could be eligible to claim a compensation for housing disrepair. Our expert housing disrepair solicitors have helped thousands of people like you to get maximum compensation you deserve, all on a No Win No Fee basis. Our success fee is both ethical and one of the lowest in the market. Contact us now, and let us help you. We will listen to you, answer your questions and give you free and impartial advice about your disrepair matter.

The housing disrepair claim check list

Can you answer yes to the following questions? If so, please get in touch so that we can discuss your case further:

Are you renting your home from the council or a housing association?

Are your rent payments up to date?

Is your landlord responsible for the disrepair?

Has the disrepair been reported to your landlord?

Has your landlord failed to repair the issue within a reasonable amount of time?

Process your disrepair claim in 3 easy steps with us

SilverOak Solicitors - personal injury, housing disrepair and immigration services. Talk to our experts

1. Get in Touch

Are you a council or housing association tenant? Contact us and tell us about your matter. We work on a 100% No Win No Fee basis, so you won’t pay a penny unless we win. Give as much information as you can. The more information you can provide, the better chance of successfully resolving your case. The initial assessment is always free and with no obligation to engage afterwards. Call 020 8578 7778.

SilverOak Solicitors - personal injury, housing disrepair and immigration services. Gathering evidences, signing paperwork

2. Build Your Case

Let our experts do all the legal work for you. We will explain what documents you need to provide so that we can process your application. Once received, our disrepair lawyers will complete and submit the necessary documents to counterparties and courts.

Housing disrepair compensation claim. Beautiful family standing in front of their house

3. Success

Remove the stress by having our disrepair lawyer by your side. Let us do the hard work. We will keep you updated every step of the way resulting in a successful outcome.

Don’t hesitate, take action now

Types of housing disrepair

Take legal action now to protect your health and safety

Get in touch with housing disrepair solicitors

We make it easy for you to speak with our disrepair experts

    Request a Call Back

    A free case assessment from one of our disrepair experts

    Who is your landlord:

    The best time to call you:

    Use the online chat on our website

    Call us on 020 8578 7778

    E-mail us

    Visit us at our office. We are open Monday-Friday 9am - 5.30pm

    When you first contact us, we will ask for some initial details. You can be assured that everything you discuss with us will be completely confidential, and any information stored by us will be in accordance with UK data protection regulations.

    At SilverOak Solicitors, we provide our clients with regular updates using a range of secure platforms such as video calls, voice calls, and secure messaging, all for your convenience!

    Read recent client reviews

    Why choose SilverOak Solicitors?

    No Win No Fee

    We work on a No Win No Fee basis for personal injury and housing disrepair claims. We only take on cases we are confident we can win. If we lose, you don’t pay our fees.

    Highly Experienced

    Our highly experienced solicitors and consultants have secured millions of pounds in compensation.

    Excellent Client Care

    You’ll have a dedicated file handler and senior solicitor working on your case so you won’t need to speak to lots of different people.

    SRA Regulated Law Firm

    We are a trustworthy SRA regulated law firm and member of The Law Society.

    Do you need legal assistance?

    Council Housing in Leeds and West Yorkshire

    The local authority owned rental properties in Leeds amount to 6.2% of the homes in the area. In West Yorkshire, this figure falls to 5.3%. Local news teams report that the number of council owned homes in Leeds has dropped by approximately 5,000 houses in the last decade. England has the right to buy law, which enables tenants to eventually purchase their property. This has led to a lack of social housing throughout the country, but especially in traditionally lower income areas like Leeds and West Yorkshire.

    Council Housing in Leeds and West Yorkshire will fall into one of these areas:

    • Cottingley
    • Buttershaw
    • Holme Wood
    • Ravenscliffe
    • Seacroft
    • Lovell Park
    • Little London
    • Lincoln Green (also known as Burmantofts)
    • Halton Moor

    1Leeds Observatory, 2021: 

    Housing Associations in Leeds and West Yorkshire

    Of all the 350k+ homes within Leeds, only 1.6% are owned by social landlords and housing associations. In West Yorkshire, this figure jumps to 3.6%. Housing association properties are also called Registered Social Landlords. Often, they provide temporary or permanent residence for tenants on low incomes.

    Social Housing belonging to housing associations in Leeds and West Yorkshire may include:

    • Leeds Jewish Housing Association
    • Sanctuary Housing
    • Tangram Housing Co-operative Ltd
    • Connect Housing
    • Engage Leeds
    • Yorkshire Housing
    • Accent Housing
    • Together Housing
    • Riverside ECHG
    • York Housing Association
    • Places for People
    • Home Group
    • Stonham Housing Association
    • Hanover Housing Association
    • Unity Housing Association Ltd
    • Leeds & Yorkshire Housing Association

    What is considered disrepair?

    If a leased residence needs maintenance work in order to be habitable without risk to the tenants, it is classified as being in a state of disrepair. The law dictates that every rental property in England and Wales should conform to fundamental criteria of hygiene, security, sanitation, and resilience, and be appropriate for human habitation, irrespective of its age or state.

    Council housing, housing association homes, charities and organisations who offer low income housing solutions to people in Leeds and West Yorkshire, have a duty of care to their tenants. Many of these homes were built between 1934 and 1980 and are more likely to fall into a state of disrepair. These issues could result in damage to your property and possessions, leaving you out of pocket for both the damage and the replacement of your items. If your social housing landlord in Leeds or West Yorkshire is ignoring your repairs, you should contact our skilled housing disrepair solicitors to start enquiring into the possibility of filing a housing disrepair compensation claim.

    Seek help from reputable housing disrepair solicitors

    Although council homes and social housing associations provide rents at lower prices, this does not diminish the duty of care these landlords owe you. If you pay rent in social housing, you have the same rights as those renting from a private landlord. This duty of care involves making certain repairs within a timely manner of your requesting them to do so.

    Our friendly team of helpful housing disrepair solicitors will fight those landlords on your behalf, taking them through the judicial system to get the result you need. Trust our team to hold your landlord accountable, help you get those repairs, and even claim maximum compensation on your behalf.

    How much can I claim for housing disrepair?

    Every housing disrepair matter varies in severity, so we cannot determine how much you may be entitled until we assess your case. This is a detailed list of the things you can claim for:

    Damage to Property:

    If your personal property has been damaged, from mould or a leak for example, you will be able to claim for the expense of replacing or repairing these items. Examples might include broken TVs, damaged bedding, clothes, carpets, and furniture.

    Personal Injury:

    Housing disrepair can cause a number of adverse health effects, including:

    • Pneumonia
    • Asthma
    • Gastrointestinal problems
    • Carbon monoxide poisoning
    • Depression and anxiety

    Furthermore, if you or a family has suffered as a result of your landlord’s negligence you can claim compensation for:

    • Medical costs
    • Aftercare
    • Medication
    • Pain and suffering

    General Inconvenience and Suffering:

    You do not need to have suffered an injury to claim compensation. You can receive compensation if the disrepair has caused you inconvenience and suffering.

    What evidence do I need to make a claim?

    Your disrepair evidence can include:

    • Photographs
    • Videos
    • Witness Statements
    • Medical Records
    • Police Records
    • Diary Entries
    • Damaged Belongings
    • Receipts

    Are you afraid of your aggressive landlord?

    If you feel nervous that your landlord may act aggressively towards you due to the fact that you have made a complaint, we can handle the settlement agreement and all the future interactions. You have nothing to worry about. Your lawyer will be the person to speak to your landlord instead of you.

    Do you need legal support making your housing disrepair claim?

    Making a housing disrepair claim

    Has your landlord failed to make repairs to your home?

    Our highly experienced housing disrepair solicitors will fight for your repairs and compensation on a NO WIN NO FEE basis. Contact us for a free consultation.

    If your rented home falls below a reasonable living standard because it has damp, mould or other issues, you could make a claim for compensation. You must have reported the issues and given your landlord a reasonable amount of time to repair the issues. If they have not you can make a claim for damage, personal injury, financial loss and/or nuisance.

    Your landlord is responsible for the above repairs irrespective of what your tenancy agreement says. Your landlord may be responsible for additional repairs stated in your tenancy agreement.

    Claims can be made either during your tenancy or after your tenancy, as long as you are making the claim within 6 years of the date that you informed your landlord of the disrepair. Personal injury claims related to housing disrepair must be made within 3 years of the date that you informed your landlord.

    Your landlord may not be responsible for repairs if they are a result of you either not taking care of the property properly or doing something unreasonable.

    Related articles to housing disrepair

    Housing disrepair solicitor near you

    Are you looking for a housing disrepair solicitor? You are in the right place. We’ve been serving the local community for years and have earned a solid reputation. We are a friendly law firm based in London with a nationwide reach. We know that the law can be very complex so it’s important to have an expert by your side. Whether you need us to help or just want to learn more about your options, we are happy to assist.

    Open chat
    Scan the code
    SilverOak Solicitors
    Hello, how can we help you?