Did you have an accident in public?

Accident in public claim

If you were injured at work or in public where you weren’t at fault, our highly experienced personal injury solicitors will fight for your compensation on a NO WIN NO FEE basis. Contact us for a free case assessment.

Did you know that the most common types of accidents in public places involve tripping and falling? It’s so common that it accounts for almost a third of all accidents reported. This page will set out the most common accidents in public places and how you may be able to pursue a claim if you were involved in one. We’ll also be looking at some UK and global accident statistics.

You should be able to make an accident in public claim if the accident:

Took place within the last three years

Caused you harm

Was caused by someone else (partially or wholly)

You can process your accident in public claim in 3 easy steps with us:

SilverOak Solicitors - personal injury, housing disrepair and immigration services. Talk to our experts

1. Get in Touch

Contact us and tell us about your personal injury case. We work on a 100% no win no fee basis, so you won’t pay a penny unless we win. Give as much information as you can. The more information you can provide, the better chance of successfully maximising your compensation claim.

SilverOak Solicitors - personal injury, housing disrepair and immigration services. Gathering evidences, signing paperwork

2. Build Your Case

Let our personal injury experts do all the legal work for you. We will explain what documents you need to provide so that we can process your application. Once received, our personal injury lawyers will complete and submit the necessary documents to counterparties and courts.

3. Success

Remove the stress by having our personal injury lawyer by your side. Let us do the hard work. We will keep you updated every step of the way resulting in a successful outcome.

Don’t hesitate, take action now

The most common accidents in public places

Accidents in public places can happen to anyone at any time. These happen more often than you may think. Over 10 million accidents are reported in the UK yearly. Of these accidents, almost a third happen in public places. The Government reports that 829,252 accident injury compensation claims were made in 2019/20201. Of those, just over 8% or 72,587, were for trip, slip falls and other public liability accidents2. Many different types of accidents can occur in public places, however some are more common than others.

Let’s take a closer look at each one:

Tripping and Falling

Falling Objects

Slips and Falls

Lighting accidents claim, personal injury claim. Lantern on the wall of the house on the background of windows.

Lighting Accidents

Get in touch with one of our personal injury experts

    Request a Call Back

    A free case assessment from one of our personal injury experts

    Please select the type of injury:

    The best time to call you:

    Use the online chat on our website

    Call us on 020 8578 7778

    E-mail us contact@silveroaksolicitors.com

    Visit us at our office. We are open Monday-Friday 9am - 5.30pm

    When you first contact us, we will ask for some initial details. You can be assured that everything you discuss with us will be completely confidential, and any information stored by us will be in accordance with UK data protection regulations.

    Read recent client reviews

    Why choose SilverOak Solicitors?

    No Win No Fee

    We work on a No Win No Fee basis for personal injury and housing disrepair claims. We only take on cases we are confident we can win. If we lose, you don’t pay our fees.

    Highly Experienced

    Our highly experienced solicitors and consultants have secured millions of pounds in compensation.

    Excellent Client Care

    You’ll have a dedicated file handler and senior solicitor working on your case so you won’t need to speak to lots of different people.

    Access to Medical Care

    We provide access to medical care and other support services for personal injury claimants.

    Interim Compensation Payments

    We can arrange interim compensation payments, where possible, for personal injury clients.

    SRA Regulated Law Firm

    We are a trustworthy SRA regulated law firm and member of The Law Society.

    Do you need legal assistance?

    What Constitutes a Public Place?

    Before we get into the most common accidents in public places, it’s important to clarify what constitutes a public place. A public place is defined as any space that is open to the general public. This can include sidewalks, parks, playgrounds and even retail stores. If anyone can access the space without going through a security checkpoint, it’s considered a public place.

    When you are in a public space you are considered a visitor. This means that the property owner is responsible for keeping the space safe for you. If they don’t take proper precautions and you are injured as a result, they may be held liable for your injuries.

    Who is responsible for public place accidents?

    The party responsible for a public place accident will determine the situation’s circumstances. The responsible party in a public place accident is generally the owner or proprietor of the business or property on which the incident occurs, e.g. a restaurant or supermarket.

    Businesses that don’t take the necessary precautions to prevent accidents could face civil action in court. Local authorities can also be held legally responsible if an accident occurs on their land and they knew, or should have known about the dangers but failed to address them.

    Public place accidents can profoundly affect the victim’s life, and it’s crucial to know your options if you’re injured.

    What to do if you’re injured in a public place accident

    If you are injured in any public place accident, it is important to report the incident and seek medical attention immediately. There are time limits for claims like this, so you’ll want to use a solicitor after your accident, injury or diagnosis date as soon as possible. It’s usually three years, but that can depend on the kind of claim it is. Once you’ve been examined for your injuries, you should consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer.

    Personal injury solicitors

    We have highly experienced solicitors and consultants who can review your case and help determine if you have a claim. We can help you recover the compensation you deserve, including pain and suffering, medical expenses and lost wages. These non-economic damages can help compensate you for the physical and emotional anguish caused by an accident. Speak to us today to learn more about the benefits you may be entitled to.

    1,2 Department for Work & Pensions, 2022: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/compensation-recovery-unit-performance-data/compensation-recovery-unit-performance-data
    3 World Health Organisation, 2021: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/falls

    Related articles to personal injury

    Open chat
    Scan the code
    SilverOak Solicitors
    Hello, how can we help you?