Do you have any broken fittings in your kitchen and bathroom? Is your landlord ignoring you?

Housing disrepair broken fittings claim

Broken fittings are more than just a nuisance, a broken light switch or power point in the wall could cause no end of trouble. If you live in a council or housing association rented property and your tenancy agreement forbids you from carrying out certain repairs, but your landlord has failed to address them, you may be eligible for compensation. From electrocution to unsafe sanitary conditions, broken fittings in your rented accommodation are unacceptable. Our housing disrepair solicitor will help you find a solution.

We operate on a No Win No Fee basis so you won’t pay unless we win your case. Contact our professional and friendly team of housing disrepair solicitors for a free initial assessment. We will advise you on compensation due to unsafe housing conditions caused by broken fittings.

The housing disrepair claim check list

Can you answer yes to the following questions? If so, please get in touch so that we can discuss your case further:

Are you renting your home from the council or a housing association?

Are your rent payments up to date?

Is your landlord responsible for the disrepair?

Has the disrepair been reported to your landlord?

Has your landlord failed to repair the issue within a reasonable amount of time?

Process your disrepair claim in 3 easy steps with us

SilverOak Solicitors - personal injury, housing disrepair and immigration services. Talk to our experts

1. Get in Touch

Are you a council or housing association tenant? Contact us and tell us about your matter. We work on a 100% No Win No Fee basis, so you won’t pay a penny unless we win. Give as much information as you can. The more information you can provide, the better chance of successfully resolving your case. The initial assessment is always free and with no obligation to engage afterwards. Call 020 8578 7778.

SilverOak Solicitors - personal injury, housing disrepair and immigration services. Gathering evidences, signing paperwork

2. Build Your Case

Let our experts do all the legal work for you. We will explain what documents you need to provide so that we can process your application. Once received, our disrepair lawyers will complete and submit the necessary documents to counterparties and courts.

Housing disrepair compensation claim. Beautiful family standing in front of their house

3. Success

Remove the stress by having our disrepair lawyer by your side. Let us do the hard work. We will keep you updated every step of the way resulting in a successful outcome.

Don’t hesitate, take action now

Get in touch with housing disrepair solicitors

We make it easy for you to speak with our disrepair experts

    Request a Call Back

    A free case assessment from one of our disrepair experts

    Who is your landlord:

    The best time to call you:

    Use the online chat on our website

    Call us on 020 8578 7778

    E-mail us

    Visit us at our office. We are open Monday-Friday 9am - 5.30pm

    When you first contact us, we will ask for some initial details. You can be assured that everything you discuss with us will be completely confidential, and any information stored by us will be in accordance with UK data protection regulations.

    At SilverOak Solicitors, we provide our clients with regular updates using a range of secure platforms such as video calls, voice calls, and secure messaging, all for your convenience!

    Read recent client reviews

    Why choose SilverOak Solicitors?

    No Win No Fee

    We work on a No Win No Fee basis for personal injury and housing disrepair claims. We only take on cases we are confident we can win. If we lose, you don’t pay our fees.

    Highly Experienced

    Our highly experienced solicitors and consultants have secured millions of pounds in compensation.

    Excellent Client Care

    You’ll have a dedicated file handler and senior solicitor working on your case so you won’t need to speak to lots of different people.

    SRA Regulated Law Firm

    We are a trustworthy SRA regulated law firm and member of The Law Society.

    Do you need legal assistance?

    What are broken fittings?

    Broken fittings is a term that describes broken items in your house that are not classed as furniture.  Examples of fittings include:

    • Plug sockets
    • Light switches
    • Sinks, bath tubs, showers, and toilets
    • Fixed storage units like kitchen cupboards or walk in wardrobes
    • Doors
    • Central light fittings
    • Plumbing
    • Security alarms
    • Boilers etc.

    When fittings break, the damage differs depending on specific fitting breaks. For example, if your light fitting breaks, you could risk electrocution every time you turn it on. If your pipes burst, you may not have clean water, or raw sewage could be leaking somewhere on the property. When doors break, there is nothing to slow the spread of fire. Broken boilers will not produce the heat or hot water that you need to ensure good health during the winter.

    Broken fittings can constitute unsafe living conditions and your landlord has a duty of care to you to provide a safe residence. If they refuse to repair damages to fittings, you could claim compensation by way of a housing disrepair solicitor. Their job is to ensure you get maximum compensation, and that your landlord accepts responsibility. Without taking legal action against your landlord, they will continue to treat you unfairly.

    Who is eligible to claim compensation for broken fittings?

    Tenants can claim compensation for housing disrepair if they inform their landlord of the issue and the landlord does not act. In the UK, the government protects your rights as a tenant. Your landlord has a duty to provide you with safe, sanitary housing. If the broken fitting puts your health at risk, or impacts on your sanitation at home, then the landlord is breaking the law. You can hold them accountable using a housing disrepair solicitor, who can help you recover compensation.

    The only requirements are that the broken fitting impacts your health or sanitation, and that you have asked your landlord to perform the repair and they have not done so.

    Tenants’ rights over broken fittings

    When you agree to become a tenant, you receive certain rights which protect you from unfair treatment by landlords. These rights include things like a right to have your deposit returned if there is no damage to the property, and the right to live in a structurally safe building which has heat, light and hot water. You have a legal right to live in a rented property that has the basic amenities.

    What are your responsibilities as a tenant?

    As a tenant, you are not completely free of all responsibility for the repair. Your landlord cannot make the repair if they do not know you have broken fittings. As such, you must inform them of the problem when it arises, without leaving things to escalate.

    You should not attempt to make any repairs yourself for two major reasons: a) You might injure yourself as you are not qualified to carry out certain repairs and b) This might violate the terms of your tenancy agreement. Unless your landlord specifies within that document that you can make repairs on the property, the landlord is responsible for broken fittings. Inform your landlord in writing and wait 28 days for action. If nothing happens, find a housing disrepair solicitor to represent you as you move forward.

    What are your landlord’s responsibilities over broken fittings?

    Your landlord has the legal obligation to act on requests for repairs to items which make the house unsafe or unsanitary. They must ensure that you always have access to heat and hot water and that your doors, walls, roof, and other parts of the house all work. The landlord cannot remove their responsibility for these basic needs and they cannot expect you to pay for these repairs or withhold your security deposit because of them.

    If you write to your landlord and they refuse to acknowledge or fix the repair, they are breaking the law. Give them a 28 days to make the repairs and if they fail to act, then contact a housing disrepair solicitor. You can take a landlord to court for not providing you with the basic living condition requirements for human habitation as set out by the UK government. The best possible result means your landlord completes the repair and you receive compensation for your trouble. To get the best possible result, you need to hire legal representation.

    Why do you need a housing disrepair solicitor?

    It is a general expectation that landlords will be fair and honest. If you find out that your landlord is not, it can lead to a stressful period in your life. A housing disrepair solicitor holds those landlords responsible for the repairs outlined by the UK government. They get results fast, earn you the maximum amount of compensation, and most importantly make your home safe again.

    How to apply for a housing disrepair solicitor?

    A housing disrepair solicitor specialises in this precise area of the law. UK legislations clearly outline tenancy rights and landlord responsibilities for the broken fittings in rented accommodations. If you report the broken fittings to your landlord and they fail to repair them, you could be eligible to claim compensation.

    To start your claim for compensation, call us and speak to a housing disrepair solicitor to explain your situation. We will advise you if you have a case and can guide you through the steps you must take to file a claim. We work on a no win no fee basis for council and housing association tenants. This means there is no risk to you as you will not pay a penny unless we win your case.

    Do you need legal support making your housing disrepair claim?

    Making a housing disrepair broken fittings claim

    Has your landlord failed to make repairs to your home?

    Our highly experienced housing disrepair solicitors will fight for your repairs and compensation on a NO WIN NO FEE basis. Contact us for a free consultation.

    If your rented home falls below a reasonable living standard because it has damp, mould or other issues, you could make a claim for compensation. You must have reported the issues and given your landlord a reasonable amount of time to repair the issues. If they have not you can make a claim for damage, personal injury, financial loss and/or nuisance.

    Your landlord is responsible for the above repairs irrespective of what your tenancy agreement says. Your landlord may be responsible for additional repairs stated in your tenancy agreement.

    Claims can be made either during your tenancy or after your tenancy, as long as you are making the claim within 6 years of the date that you informed your landlord of the disrepair. Personal injury claims related to housing disrepair must be made within 3 years of the date that you informed your landlord.

    Your landlord may not be responsible for repairs if they are a result of you either not taking care of the property properly or doing something unreasonable.

    Is your home affected by broken fittings?

    Related articles to housing disrepair

    Open chat
    Scan the code
    SilverOak Solicitors
    Hello, how can we help you?