Are any of your windows and doors broken? Is your landlord ignoring you?

Windows and doors housing disrepair claim

Every year, thousands of tenants living in the UK fall victims of landlords negligence. Are your doors or windows in disrepair? If you live in council or housing association accommodation and your landlord is ignoring your requests to make necessary repairs, our housing disrepair solicitor can help you claim compensation. Windows and doors are part of your building’s structure. When that structure is at risk, so are the tenants.

This page contains all the information you need to tackle the problem of landlords who will not fix your windows and doors.

The housing disrepair claim check list

Can you answer yes to the following questions? If so, please get in touch so that we can discuss your case further:

Are you renting your home from the council or a housing association?

Are your rent payments up to date?

Is your landlord responsible for the disrepair?

Has the disrepair been reported to your landlord?

Has your landlord failed to repair the issue within a reasonable amount of time?

Process your disrepair claim in 3 easy steps with us

SilverOak Solicitors - personal injury, housing disrepair and immigration services. Talk to our experts

1. Get in Touch

Are you a council or housing association tenant? Contact us and tell us about your matter. We work on a 100% No Win No Fee basis, so you won’t pay a penny unless we win. Give as much information as you can. The more information you can provide, the better chance of successfully resolving your case. The initial assessment is always free and with no obligation to engage afterwards. Call 020 8578 7778.

SilverOak Solicitors - personal injury, housing disrepair and immigration services. Gathering evidences, signing paperwork

2. Build Your Case

Let our experts do all the legal work for you. We will explain what documents you need to provide so that we can process your application. Once received, our disrepair lawyers will complete and submit the necessary documents to counterparties and courts.

Housing disrepair compensation claim. Beautiful family standing in front of their house

3. Success

Remove the stress by having our disrepair lawyer by your side. Let us do the hard work. We will keep you updated every step of the way resulting in a successful outcome.

Don’t hesitate, take action now

Get in touch with housing disrepair solicitors

We make it easy for you to speak with our disrepair experts

    Request a Call Back

    A free case assessment from one of our disrepair experts

    Who is your landlord:

    The best time to call you:

    Use the online chat on our website

    Call us on 020 8578 7778

    E-mail us

    Visit us at our office. We are open Monday-Friday 9am - 5.30pm

    When you first contact us, we will ask for some initial details. You can be assured that everything you discuss with us will be completely confidential, and any information stored by us will be in accordance with UK data protection regulations.

    At SilverOak Solicitors, we provide our clients with regular updates using a range of secure platforms such as video calls, voice calls, and secure messaging, all for your convenience!

    Read recent client reviews

    Why choose SilverOak Solicitors?

    No Win No Fee

    We work on a No Win No Fee basis for personal injury and housing disrepair claims. We only take on cases we are confident we can win. If we lose, you don’t pay our fees.

    Highly Experienced

    Our highly experienced solicitors and consultants have secured millions of pounds in compensation.

    Excellent Client Care

    You’ll have a dedicated file handler and senior solicitor working on your case so you won’t need to speak to lots of different people.

    SRA Regulated Law Firm

    We are a trustworthy SRA regulated law firm and member of The Law Society.

    Do you need legal assistance?

    What are window and door disrepairs?

    Window and door disrepair issues arise when the windows or doors of your property become insecure and require urgent repair. In some cases, the damaged items may need to be replaced entirely. When your windows or doors are in disrepair, you are living in a building which is insecure what is not legally suitable for habitation under English law.

    Examples of windows and doors that require immediate attention include:

    • Doors and windows which have broken locks
    • Smashed windows
    • Smashed windows where jagged glass is a threat
    • Smashed or splintering doors
    • Doors which fail to lock
    • Doors which do not close properly
    • Having no secure access point to the property

    Why is damp so dangerous for our health?

    Living in a damp property negatively impacts your health. This is because damp creates mould spores, fungus and lichen.

    Mould grows on damp surfaces, particularly those in warm areas. As it grows, it emits spores and gasses. Mould can emit toxic gasses which negatively impact the human respiratory system. Mould can trigger asthma attacks, affect your immune system and has a harmful effect on babies and the elderly.

    If your landlord knowingly allows you to live in a damp property, they are allowing your health to suffer. Seek help from us today. You can speak with a disrepair solicitor to discuss your options.

    Who is eligible to claim for windows and doors disrepair?

    If you live in a council or housing association rented accommodation, your landlord should make these repairs. If they refuse to make the repair, do not act quickly enough or try to charge you for a repair that was not your fault, then you may launch a claim for compensation. Launching a claim forces them to act via the court system.

    You should note that if you deliberately break a window or door and your landlord can prove it, you will have to pay for the repair. Otherwise, if you are living in an accommodation you rent from someone else, you are eligible to make a claim.

    What are your rights as a tenant facing window and door disrepair?

    You have rights as a tenant which ensure your landlord should repair the damage. Not only should they repair it, but they should repair it in a timely manner. They do not have the right to charge you for the repair, or to withhold your security deposit because of a damaged window or door.

    As a tenant, you have the right to live in a safe and secure property. Before your landlord can rent it to you, they must make sure the building is good enough to live in. They must meet the specifications set out in the Fit for Human Habitation act of 2018, and in the Landlord and Tenants act of 1985. Between these two acts, the landlord must ensure your property is safe, secure, and structurally sound.

    If you think your rights are in breach, you should contact one of our housing disrepair solicitors. We will guide you through the legal process of making a claim against your landlord.

    What are your responsibilities?

    You must inform your landlord about the broken window/door of your rented property. If you contact them by phone to report it, you should immediately follow your phone call in writing.  This is important as it helps provide evidence of the date you made your request for repair.

    Once your landlord is aware of broken windows or broken doors in your rented property, you must give them time to make the repair. Usually, this means waiting for 28 days. If your landlord does not respond to you, does not decide for the repair, or outright refuses the repair, you should hire a housing disrepair solicitor to start legal proceedings against them. Claiming through a solicitor increases a chance of a successfully resolving your issue.

    What are your landlords responsibilities regarding window and door disrepair

    Your landlord has a responsibility to keep your property in good repair. One of the conditions of good repair as outlined in UK law, is that your property is secure. A broken window or door disrepair leaves you living in an unsafe home, which could be burglarised at any time. Your landlord should fix window sashes, frames, and sills, door frames, handles, and letterboxes in a timely manner. They should repair broken locks as soon as possible.

    If you think your landlord is taking too long to make a repair to your windows and doors, hire a housing disrepair solicitor to represent you.

    How to apply for a housing disrepair solicitor?

    Applying for a housing disrepair solicitor is a straightforward process. Contact us and talk to our disrepair experts regarding your situation. If you have a case, we will help you recover your losses on a no win no fee basis. Living in an unsecure home is stressful enough, hiring your housing disrepair solicitor is a relief by comparison.

    Why do you need a housing disrepair solicitor?

    Our experts have extensive knowledge of the legislation process. If you choose to pursue legal action for housing disrepair over broken windows and doors with your landlord, we will provide you with excellent legal support which will maximise your chance at recovering compensation.

    Do you need legal support making your housing disrepair claim?

    Making a housing disrepair damp claim

    Has your landlord failed to make repairs to your home?

    Our highly experienced housing disrepair solicitors will fight for your repairs and compensation on a NO WIN NO FEE basis. Contact us for a free consultation.

    If your rented home falls below a reasonable living standard because it has damp, mould or other issues, you could make a claim for compensation. You must have reported the issues and given your landlord a reasonable amount of time to repair the issues. If they have not you can make a claim for damage, personal injury, financial loss and/or nuisance.

    Your landlord is responsible for the above repairs irrespective of what your tenancy agreement says. Your landlord may be responsible for additional repairs stated in your tenancy agreement.

    Claims can be made either during your tenancy or after your tenancy, as long as you are making the claim within 6 years of the date that you informed your landlord of the disrepair. Personal injury claims related to housing disrepair must be made within 3 years of the date that you informed your landlord.

    Your landlord may not be responsible for repairs if they are a result of you either not taking care of the property properly or doing something unreasonable.

    Is your home affected by broken doors or windows?

    Related articles to housing disrepair

    Open chat
    Scan the code
    SilverOak Solicitors
    Hello, how can we help you?