What can I do about disrepair in my rented property?

It can be challenging if you are a council or housing association tenant and the property you live in is in a state of disrepair. Getting your landlord to carry out necessary repairs should be fairly simple. Unfortunately, this is not always the case.

If a request for repairs is not addressed within a reasonable timeframe or the quality falls short, it’s important to know what avenues are open to you to make a complaint or even a claim against your landlord.

Report the issues to your landlord

Notify your council or housing association landlord about any disrepair as quickly as possible so you can get things moving. Make a note of the time you contacted them and the method – by phone, email or text, for example. If you’ve sent an email, for example, keep a copy as evidence.

Promptly reporting the issue is crucial. Any delay might allow them to argue that the problem worsened due to your negligence.

Furthermore, it is best to review the contract thoroughly to determine the responsibilities of each party involved. By understanding each party’s liabilities, potential disputes, misunderstandings, and instances of negligence can be prevented. Generally, the landlord is responsible for repairs and replacements, while the tenant is responsible for maintaining the property. However, it should be noted that tenants are accountable for any damages resulting from intentional or negligent act

Give your landlord time

Your housing association or council is granted a reasonable timeframe to address the necessary repair and put it right. In general, if 21 days pass without any action being taken and the repair is urgent, it’s advisable to take things to the next stage.

For non-urgent repairs, a reasonable time might range from two to three months. If the repair remains unaddressed after this, and there seems to be no resolution, you might want to involve a legal team of housing disrepair solicitors.

Getting legal advice

If you believe your rental property is in a state of disrepair, and you have notified your housing association or council landlord and allowed a reasonable timeframe and nothing has been done, the next step is to involve a solicitor who specialises in housing disrepair.

Should I still pay the rent?

The short answer is yes. Keep paying your rent on time as falling into arrears may lead your housing association or council to issue a counter-claim. They could even potentially evict you, as you would be violating the terms of the tenancy agreement.

Contact SilverOak Solicitors

If repairs are not carried out, contact a housing disrepair solicitor for a free and impartial advice on what you should do next. This can be quite daunting if you have never taken legal action before but it’s critical if your landlord is failing to live up to their responsibilities.

At SilverOak Solicitors, our professional and friendly team is here to fight for your rights. We’ve got a lot of experience in dealing with landlords, including housing associations and councils, who are not delivering on expectations. We work on a Risk Free, No Win No Fee basis. Our success fee is both ethical and the lowest of the market.

Want to find out more? Contact our experienced team at 020 8578 778 or email us at contact@silveroaksolicitors.com.

Get in touch with one of our disrepair experts

    Request a Call Back

    A free case assessment from one of our disrepair experts

    Who is your landlord:

    The best time to call you:

    Use the online chat on our website

    Call us on 020 8578 7778

    E-mail us contact@silveroaksolicitors.com

    Visit us at our office. We are open Monday-Friday 9am - 5.30pm

    When you first contact us, we will ask for some initial details, including your contact information and the nature of your enquiry. You can be assured that everything you discuss with us will be completely confidential, and any information stored by us will be in accordance with UK data protection regulations.

    Related articles to housing disrepair

    Open chat
    Scan the code
    SilverOak Solicitors
    Hello, how can we help you?