Do you have damp in your home? Is your landlord ignoring you?

Damp housing disrepair claim

Every year, thousands of tenants living in the UK fall victim of landlords negligence. One of the common ways landlords fail their tenants is by neglecting to address dampness in the property, which can cause serious health problems and damage to the belongings.

If your council or housing association rented home is affected by damp and your landlord have failed to make essential repairs, you may be entitled to compensation. Our expert housing disrepair team can help you! We operate on a No Win No Fee basis, which means you only pay us if we win your case. Our success fee is both ethical and one of the most affordable on the market.

This page explains your legal rights as a tenant living in a property affected by damp. We will also explain landlord’s responsibilities, and tell you why you should apply for one of our housing disrepair solicitors to represent you.

The housing disrepair claim check list

Can you answer yes to the following questions? If so, please get in touch so that we can discuss your case further:

Are you renting your home from the council or a housing association?

Are your rent payments up to date?

Is your landlord responsible for the disrepair?

Has the disrepair been reported to your landlord?

Has your landlord failed to repair the issue within a reasonable amount of time?

Process your disrepair claim in 3 easy steps with us

SilverOak Solicitors - personal injury, housing disrepair and immigration services. Talk to our experts

1. Get in Touch

Are you a council or housing association tenant? Contact us and tell us about your matter. We work on a 100% No Win No Fee basis, so you won’t pay a penny unless we win. Give as much information as you can. The more information you can provide, the better chance of successfully resolving your case. The initial assessment is always free and with no obligation to engage afterwards. Call 020 8578 7778.

SilverOak Solicitors - personal injury, housing disrepair and immigration services. Gathering evidences, signing paperwork

2. Build Your Case

Let our experts do all the legal work for you. We will explain what documents you need to provide so that we can process your application. Once received, our disrepair lawyers will complete and submit the necessary documents to counterparties and courts.

Housing disrepair compensation claim. Beautiful family standing in front of their house

3. Success

Remove the stress by having our disrepair lawyer by your side. Let us do the hard work. We will keep you updated every step of the way resulting in a successful outcome.

Don’t hesitate, take action now

Get in touch with housing disrepair solicitors

We make it easy for you to speak with our disrepair experts

    Request a Call Back

    A free case assessment from one of our disrepair experts

    Who is your landlord:

    The best time to call you:

    Use the online chat on our website

    Call us on 020 8578 7778

    E-mail us

    Visit us at our office. We are open Monday-Friday 9am - 5.30pm

    When you first contact us, we will ask for some initial details. You can be assured that everything you discuss with us will be completely confidential, and any information stored by us will be in accordance with UK data protection regulations.

    At SilverOak Solicitors, we provide our clients with regular updates using a range of secure platforms such as video calls, voice calls, and secure messaging, all for your convenience!

    Read recent client reviews

    Why choose SilverOak Solicitors?

    No Win No Fee

    We work on a No Win No Fee basis for personal injury and housing disrepair claims. We only take on cases we are confident we can win. If we lose, you don’t pay our fees.

    Highly Experienced

    Our highly experienced solicitors and consultants have secured millions of pounds in compensation.

    Excellent Client Care

    You’ll have a dedicated file handler and senior solicitor working on your case so you won’t need to speak to lots of different people.

    SRA Regulated Law Firm

    We are a trustworthy SRA regulated law firm and member of The Law Society.

    Do you need legal assistance?

    What is damp disrepair?

    Damp is the term we use when moisture gets into the property and does not escape. Damp occurs through condensation, through leaks in plumbing systems and through faults in the building work. If the dampness goes untreated, it creates mould spores. Eventually, it will begin to rot the property. Rotten building materials lose their tensile strength, and the structure loses its integrity. In short, untreated damp can bring down the whole house.

    Why is damp so dangerous for our health?

    Living in a damp property negatively impacts your health. This is because damp creates mould spores, fungus and lichen.

    Mould grows on damp surfaces, particularly those in warm areas. As it grows, it emits spores and gasses. Mould can emit toxic gasses which negatively impact the human respiratory system. Mould can trigger asthma attacks, affect your immune system and has a harmful effect on babies and the elderly.

    If your landlord knowingly allows you to live in a damp property, they are allowing your health to suffer. Seek help from us today. You can speak with a disrepair solicitor to discuss your options.

    What is a housing disrepair claim?

    If your landlord has failed to make necessary repairs in your rented property, you have the legal right to file a housing disrepair claim for compensation. You should file a claim in writing with your landlord or managing agent, or with your local council for investigation. This process can be time-consuming, so take legal action now. A skilled housing disrepair solicitor can improve your chances of success and help you navigate through the process. Using the protection of the law, you can stop rogue landlords getting away with bad tenancy practices.

    Who is eligible to claim for damp disrepair?

    You can claim for housing disrepair if you are living in a property that is not your own. Your landlord can be a local council, housing association or a private person. As a tenant, you have clearly defined rights. If your landlord breaks these rights, you can claim for housing disrepair. Please note that we are only able to assist you on a no win no fee basis if your landlord is either the council or a housing association. We are still able to assist you if you have a private landlord, but you will have to pay for this service.

    If your landlord knowingly allows you to live in a damp property, they are allowing your health to suffer. Seek help from us today. You can speak with a disrepair solicitor to discuss your options.

    What are your rights as a tenant?

    Tenant rights are protected by UK law. The government deems that private tenants have the right to:

    • Live in a safe property that is in a decent state of repair
    • A returned deposit at the end of your tenancy
    • Question landlords over excessive charges
    • Know your landlord
    • Live in the property without interruption
    • Know the energy consumption for the property
    • Avoid evictions that are not fair
    • Possession of a tenancy agreement should you stay in the property for 3 years or more

    If your landlord knowingly allows you to live in a damp property, they are allowing your health to suffer. Seek help from us today. You can speak with a disrepair solicitor to discuss your options.

    The UK government also provide clear, definitive rules on what a tenancy agreement should and should not contain for it to comply with their rules.

    The UK government recently added the Tenancy Fees Act to the list of rights for tenants. This act, introduced in 2019 for new tenancy agreements and in 2020 for existing ones, ensures your landlord cannot charge you unreasonable fees. The fees the government forbade include admin fees and costs to renew your tenancy. Your landlord cannot charge you to make a visit to your property or to check your references.

    Tenant responsibilities when dealing with dampness

    In a house where repairs or works are needed, if the landlord fails to carry out the work within a reasonable amount of time after you report the issues, then this could be considered a housing disrepair claim. This means that if you report the dampness, mould, or mildew, to your landlord and they do not fix it, you should see a housing disrepair solicitor to pursue a claim.

    Your responsibility is to see the dampness, report it to the landlord, and wait for a repair. If the repair does not happen, then you should contact a housing disrepair solicitor to hold the property owner accountable.

    Landlord responsibilities when dealing with dampness

    If you are a council or a housing association tenant living in rented accommodation, your landlord is required by law to ensure that the house you live in is:

    • in a good state of repair
    • structurally sound
    • free from dampness and mould
    • free from vermin/infestations

    and has:

    • working gutters
    • working drains
    • working heating
    • safe gas and water supplies

    If you think your landlord is not fulfilling their responsibilities to you, then you may take them to court.

    How to apply for a housing disrepair solicitor?

    Get in contact with us by calling 020 8578 7778. You will need to tell us about the details of your situation. We will decide whether you have a case and if we will take your case on. Our solicitors offer guidance and legal representation in the face of rogue landlords. Let us be your go-to counsel when you need to challenge a landlord who is acting illegally.

    Why do you need a housing disrepair solicitor?

    We can help you get the maximum possible compensation for the trouble your property owner has caused. We can help you complete paperwork, advise you on evidence and how to gather it, and negotiate with the opposition on your behalf. If you report a dampness issue to your landlord and they do not fix it, we can advise you on what to do next. If you are a council or housing association tenant, SilverOak Solicitors works on a No Win No Fee basis which means that we won’t charge you the contingency fee unless we win your case.

    Is your landlord breaking the law?

    Do you suspect your landlord is breaking the law? If you have reported damp in your property and they fail to act upon it, then you may have a case. Contact us today to talk to our qualified and trusted housing disrepair solicitors. We will assess your situation and tell you what we expect the outcome will be.

    Not sure if your landlord has broken the law? Even if you are unsure, give us a call. Our UK-based solicitor can help you with your tenancy disrepair issues or talk you through your options.

    Do you need legal support making your housing disrepair claim?

    Making a housing disrepair damp claim

    Has your landlord failed to make repairs to your home?

    Our highly experienced housing disrepair solicitors will fight for your repairs and compensation on a NO WIN NO FEE basis. Contact us for a free consultation.

    If your rented home falls below a reasonable living standard because it has damp, mould or other issues, you could make a claim for compensation. You must have reported the issues and given your landlord a reasonable amount of time to repair the issues. If they have not you can make a claim for damage, personal injury, financial loss and/or nuisance.

    Your landlord is responsible for the above repairs irrespective of what your tenancy agreement says. Your landlord may be responsible for additional repairs stated in your tenancy agreement.

    Claims can be made either during your tenancy or after your tenancy, as long as you are making the claim within 6 years of the date that you informed your landlord of the disrepair. Personal injury claims related to housing disrepair must be made within 3 years of the date that you informed your landlord.

    Your landlord may not be responsible for repairs if they are a result of you either not taking care of the property properly or doing something unreasonable.

    Is your home affected by damp?

    Related articles to housing disrepair

    Open chat
    Scan the code
    SilverOak Solicitors
    Hello, how can we help you?