Do you have water leaks in your home? Is your landlord ignoring you?

Water leaks housing disrepair claim

If you are a council or housing association tenant and have water leaking into your home through no fault of your own, you can claim compensation from the guilty party. Our housing disrepair solicitors can help you hold elusive landlords to account. We operate on a No Win No Fee basis so you won’t pay anything unless we win your case. We will carefully listen to your situation and provide expert advice on the best possible legal course of action.

As a tenant in a rented property, your landlord is obligated to provide you with a safe and structurally sound home. It is crucial that any water leakage, which is causing damage to the property, be promptly addressed by the landlord. Contact us today for a free initial assessment to explore your options.

The housing disrepair claim check list

Can you answer yes to the following questions? If so, please get in touch so that we can discuss your case further:

Are you renting your home from the council or a housing association?

Are your rent payments up to date?

Is your landlord responsible for the disrepair?

Has the disrepair been reported to your landlord?

Has your landlord failed to repair the issue within a reasonable amount of time?

Process your disrepair claim in 3 easy steps with us

SilverOak Solicitors - personal injury, housing disrepair and immigration services. Talk to our experts

1. Get in Touch

Are you a council or housing association tenant? Contact us and tell us about your matter. We work on a 100% No Win No Fee basis, so you won’t pay a penny unless we win. Give as much information as you can. The more information you can provide, the better chance of successfully resolving your case. The initial assessment is always free and with no obligation to engage afterwards. Call 020 8578 7778.

SilverOak Solicitors - personal injury, housing disrepair and immigration services. Gathering evidences, signing paperwork

2. Build Your Case

Let our experts do all the legal work for you. We will explain what documents you need to provide so that we can process your application. Once received, our disrepair lawyers will complete and submit the necessary documents to counterparties and courts.

Housing disrepair compensation claim. Beautiful family standing in front of their house

3. Success

Remove the stress by having our disrepair lawyer by your side. Let us do the hard work. We will keep you updated every step of the way resulting in a successful outcome.

Don’t hesitate, take action now

Get in touch with housing disrepair solicitors

We make it easy for you to speak with our disrepair experts

    Request a Call Back

    A free case assessment from one of our disrepair experts

    Who is your landlord:

    The best time to call you:

    Use the online chat on our website

    Call us on 020 8578 7778

    E-mail us

    Visit us at our office. We are open Monday-Friday 9am - 5.30pm

    When you first contact us, we will ask for some initial details. You can be assured that everything you discuss with us will be completely confidential, and any information stored by us will be in accordance with UK data protection regulations.

    At SilverOak Solicitors, we provide our clients with regular updates using a range of secure platforms such as video calls, voice calls, and secure messaging, all for your convenience!

    Read recent client reviews

    Why choose SilverOak Solicitors?

    No Win No Fee

    We work on a No Win No Fee basis for personal injury and housing disrepair claims. We only take on cases we are confident we can win. If we lose, you don’t pay our fees.

    Highly Experienced

    Our highly experienced solicitors and consultants have secured millions of pounds in compensation.

    Excellent Client Care

    You’ll have a dedicated file handler and senior solicitor working on your case so you won’t need to speak to lots of different people.

    SRA Regulated Law Firm

    We are a trustworthy SRA regulated law firm and member of The Law Society.

    Do you need legal assistance?

    What are water leak disrepairs?

    Water can leak both into and out of containers in your home. Each house contains pipework which connects them to the water grid. These pipes carry fresh water into the house and dirty water away from the house. When either of these piping systems goes wrong, you can end up with either fresh water or sewage water leaking into the brickwork of your home.

    If water is leaking into your home through a faulty roof, or if the water leak comes from a faulty pipe, you should first inform your landlord. If you report your water leak by phone, you must follow that telephone call up immediately in writing. If your landlord does not act within 28 days, contact a housing disrepair solicitor for advice on how to make a claim.

    Water leaks are bad for your health

    Water can leak into your house through excessive rainfall. You might find that your rented accommodation is on a flood plain.  This could damage your home’s contents as well as the structure of the property. Water leaks lead to damp, which causes mould and mildew. The spores emitted by mould can cause respiratory infections in humans, among other conditions.

    Water leaks are dangerous for your house

    As well as affecting your health, leaking water can damage your property. Extensive or long term damp can cause brickwork and wood to rot. If the building materials that make the structure of your home safe become damaged, your building will become unsafe to live in. A landlord that fails to act is failing to provide their tenant with a safe place to live in. However, if you are responsible for the leak, it may not be the landlord’s responsibility to act.

    If the leak is coming from outside the property or from hidden plumbing like pipework, then the landlord is responsible. As a tenant, you have the right to live in a safe, secure home. If water is leaking into that property and causing damage, your home is no longer structurally sound. In this case, you have a right to complain to your landlord and expect them to fix the problem. If they do not, you should seek legal action through a housing disrepair solicitor to force them to repair the

    Who is eligible to claim?

    If you have had your property damaged because of a water leak in your rented home, you may be eligible to claim for housing disrepair. If you ask your landlord to fix the damage and they comply, you cannot claim, but if they refuse to comply or if there is a dispute about blame, then calling a housing disrepair solicitor is the best way towards a successful claim.

    Tenant responsibilities

    Anything that belongs to the tenant of a rented property is the tenant’s responsibility. This means you cannot claim compensation from your landlord if you have a leaking fridge or washing machine. However, if the tap or pipes are leaking, it becomes the landlord’s responsibility.

    You should keep the house in good repair while you are living in it. You should also report any leaks you see to your property owner. This gives them the chance to fix the issue in good time, before it does structural damage.

    Your landlord’s responsibilities

    If the leak is not your fault, your landlord must fix the water leak and the subsequent damage. In most cases, water leak damage is part of a comprehensive landlord insurance policy. Once you tell them there is a leak, they should hire a specialist to repair it. If this does not happen, you can then pursue legal action through a housing disrepair solicitor.

    If the leak damages your property but started on a neighbouring property, then your landlord is responsible for the damage. This assumes the neighbour did not know there was a leak. You may file a claim against your neighbour for damage to your home contents.

    Why do you need a housing disrepair solicitor?

    Solicitors can hold bad landlords accountable for their actions and ensure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation for damage to your goods, or towards your stay in a hotel while the problem is resolved. Water leaks can also cause health problems. A housing disrepair solicitor will help you secure the payment of your medical bills. Hold your landlord accountable today. You have a right to live in a safe, dry house.

    How to apply for a housing disrepair solicitor

    To apply for a housing disrepair solicitor, simple call us and explain your situation over the phone. We will talk you through your options and explain what papers you need to provide if you want to make a claim. If you are a council tenant or housing association tenant, we can help you on a No Win No Fee basis which means you don’t pay a penny unless we win your case.

    Do you need legal support making your housing disrepair claim?

    Making a housing disrepair water leak claim

    Has your landlord failed to make repairs to your home?

    Our highly experienced housing disrepair solicitors will fight for your repairs and compensation on a NO WIN NO FEE basis. Contact us for a free consultation.

    If your rented home falls below a reasonable living standard because it has damp, mould or other issues, you could make a claim for compensation. You must have reported the issues and given your landlord a reasonable amount of time to repair the issues. If they have not you can make a claim for damage, personal injury, financial loss and/or nuisance.

    Your landlord is responsible for the above repairs irrespective of what your tenancy agreement says. Your landlord may be responsible for additional repairs stated in your tenancy agreement.

    Claims can be made either during your tenancy or after your tenancy, as long as you are making the claim within 6 years of the date that you informed your landlord of the disrepair. Personal injury claims related to housing disrepair must be made within 3 years of the date that you informed your landlord.

    Your landlord may not be responsible for repairs if they are a result of you either not taking care of the property properly or doing something unreasonable.

    Is your home affected by water leaks?

    Related articles to housing disrepair

    Open chat
    Scan the code
    SilverOak Solicitors
    Hello, how can we help you?