Is your heating system broken? Is your landlord ignoring you?

Broken heating housing disrepair claim

Broken heating comes under your landlord’s duty of care to you. If you live in a council or housing association rented home with broken heating that your landlord refuses to repair, you could claim compensation. Contact us today for a free initial assessment to discuss you options. We will fight for the maximum compensation you deserve on a No Win No Fee basis, but most importantly, we will listen to you, and guide you through the whole process. Our friendly and professional team of housing disrepair solicitors is here to support you!

The housing disrepair claim check list

Can you answer yes to the following questions? If so, please get in touch so that we can discuss your case further:

Are you renting your home from the council or a housing association?

Are your rent payments up to date?

Is your landlord responsible for the disrepair?

Has the disrepair been reported to your landlord?

Has your landlord failed to repair the issue within a reasonable amount of time?

Process your disrepair claim in 3 easy steps with us

SilverOak Solicitors - personal injury, housing disrepair and immigration services. Talk to our experts

1. Get in Touch

Are you a council or housing association tenant? Contact us and tell us about your matter. We work on a 100% No Win No Fee basis, so you won’t pay a penny unless we win. Give as much information as you can. The more information you can provide, the better chance of successfully resolving your case. The initial assessment is always free and with no obligation to engage afterwards. Call 020 8578 7778.

SilverOak Solicitors - personal injury, housing disrepair and immigration services. Gathering evidences, signing paperwork

2. Build Your Case

Let our experts do all the legal work for you. We will explain what documents you need to provide so that we can process your application. Once received, our disrepair lawyers will complete and submit the necessary documents to counterparties and courts.

Housing disrepair compensation claim. Beautiful family standing in front of their house

3. Success

Remove the stress by having our disrepair lawyer by your side. Let us do the hard work. We will keep you updated every step of the way resulting in a successful outcome.

Don’t hesitate, take action now

Get in touch with housing disrepair solicitors

We make it easy for you to speak with our disrepair experts

    Request a Call Back

    A free case assessment from one of our disrepair experts

    Who is your landlord:

    The best time to call you:

    Use the online chat on our website

    Call us on 020 8578 7778

    E-mail us

    Visit us at our office. We are open Monday-Friday 9am - 5.30pm

    When you first contact us, we will ask for some initial details. You can be assured that everything you discuss with us will be completely confidential, and any information stored by us will be in accordance with UK data protection regulations.

    At SilverOak Solicitors, we provide our clients with regular updates using a range of secure platforms such as video calls, voice calls, and secure messaging, all for your convenience!

    Read recent client reviews

    Why choose SilverOak Solicitors?

    No Win No Fee

    We work on a No Win No Fee basis for personal injury and housing disrepair claims. We only take on cases we are confident we can win. If we lose, you don’t pay our fees.

    Highly Experienced

    Our highly experienced solicitors and consultants have secured millions of pounds in compensation.

    Excellent Client Care

    You’ll have a dedicated file handler and senior solicitor working on your case so you won’t need to speak to lots of different people.

    SRA Regulated Law Firm

    We are a trustworthy SRA regulated law firm and member of The Law Society.

    Do you need legal assistance?

    What is broken heating disrepair?

    If your heating system in your rented accommodation is broken, you may be entitled to the compensation for housing disrepair. Your heating system is important to both the structure of the house, and to your health. If your heating breaks down in the winter for an extended period of time, hypothermia can set in which could prove fatal.

    Broken heating can damage the structure of the house, too. We experience an average of 13 days of rain or snow in a typical December in the UK. With no heating to remove the damp and cold from your house, mould and mildew can quickly set in. A continually damp, wet house produces mould spores and mould spores produce toxins.

    As well as damaging the building through producing mould and mildew, broken heating can cause leaks and other issues. Without heating in the winter, pipes can freeze and subsequently burst. This causes damage to the structure of the house.

    Broken heating can damage the safety of your home. Seeking a housing disrepair solicitor will help you hold your landlord to account. In some cases, it may be the only way to ensure your landlord performs the repairs as requested.

    Who is eligible to claim compensation for broken heating?

    If you live in a property where you pay rent but you are not the owner, then your landlord is responsible for keeping the property safe and structurally sound. When landlord fails to do this, you have the right to request a repair. When landlords do not repair important things such as broken heating, we have the right to claim compensation. To be eligible you must first perform your roles and responsibilities as the tenant. This means you must report the fault to your landlord. If the landlord does not respond, or responds but does not carry out the necessary repair, you can file a claim for housing disrepair.

    A housing disrepair solicitor represents you in the legal process. No landlord should force you to live in a house with no heat. This goes against your tenancy agreement, it is dangerous to your health and it breaks the law. Seek legal help immediately if you think your landlord is avoiding the repair costs.

    What are your rights as a tenant?

    As a tenant, you have the right to live in a property which is safe to live in. Part of making a property safe to live in is ensuring that you have access to hot water. Hot water is vital for sanitation, for washing clothes, dishes, and yourself. It is widely known that staying safe during Covid and any flu type virus is to wash our hands thoroughly with warm, soapy water.  If you live in a local authority housing area, you may pursue repairs as part of the right to repair scheme.

    If your heating breaks, the landlord must still return your deposit when you move out. Heating is a basic right which your landlord should provide alongside the property. If they are not providing it, seek a housing disrepair solicitor to act on your behalf.

    Tenant responsibilities when the heating breaks

    If your heating breaks, you should not attempt to correct it yourself. Firstly you are not qualified and you could injure yourself or damage the building and secondly you may be breaking the tenancy agreement if you try to do so. You can review your rental agreement for specific instructions over who makes these repairs. By default, it ought to be your landlord. You should only make the repair if it specifically instructs you to do so in your rental agreement, or if you are the one responsible for the fault. For example, if you caused deliberate damage to the boiler or furnace system, then the repair is your responsibility, but this repair should be carried out by a qualified person.

    When you detect the fault in your broken heating system, you should report the fault immediately to your landlord. This is to ensure that the damage is limited.  If you communicate the fault by phone, always follow up a telephone conversation in writing. This means sending an email or writing a letter. Leaving a paper trail is best if you intend to claim compensation.

    You should give your landlord a suitable period to respond, or to make the repair. The UK government specifies that a suitable period is 28 days. If your landlord does not make the repair, you should continue to pay your rent as usual. Hiring a housing disrepair solicitor will not only help you get the heating repaired, but will also ensure you receive the maximum amount of compensation.

    Landlord responsibilities

    Your landlord’s responsibilities are clearly outlined in UK government guidelines. They have a legal responsibility to provide you with repairs to the exterior of the property, and to internal matters such as the basins, sinks, sanitary areas, heating, hot water, gas appliances, electrical system and the damage these issues have caused.

    If your landlord is refusing to make those repairs on your property, they may be breaching the law. Hire a housing disrepair solicitor to talk through your options, today.

    How to apply for a housing disrepair solicitor

    It is a simple process to apply for a housing disrepair solicitor. All you have to do is call us and we can guide you on the next steps. A housing disrepair solicitor will tell you what evidence you need to provide in order to reach a successful outcome. Once you have provided the necessary information, leave it with us and we will do the rest. Furthermore, our solicitors will submit all the necessary documents and keep you updated from beginning to end.

    Why do you need a housing disrepair solicitor?

    If your landlord fails to make the necessary repairs, it indicates that they do not take their legal responsibilities seriously nor do they behave in a fair manner.  If you make a claim without legal representation of your own, you may become outmatched, and your claim may fail. A housing disrepair solicitor knows the law and is your best chance to win the case and get you the compensation you deserve.

    Do you need legal support making your housing disrepair claim?

    Making a housing disrepair broken heating claim

    Has your landlord failed to make repairs to your home?

    Our highly experienced housing disrepair solicitors will fight for your repairs and compensation on a NO WIN NO FEE basis. Contact us for a free consultation.

    If your rented home falls below a reasonable living standard because it has damp, mould or other issues, you could make a claim for compensation. You must have reported the issues and given your landlord a reasonable amount of time to repair the issues. If they have not you can make a claim for damage, personal injury, financial loss and/or nuisance.

    Your landlord is responsible for the above repairs irrespective of what your tenancy agreement says. Your landlord may be responsible for additional repairs stated in your tenancy agreement.

    Claims can be made either during your tenancy or after your tenancy, as long as you are making the claim within 6 years of the date that you informed your landlord of the disrepair. Personal injury claims related to housing disrepair must be made within 3 years of the date that you informed your landlord.

    Your landlord may not be responsible for repairs if they are a result of you either not taking care of the property properly or doing something unreasonable.

    Is your home affected by broken heating?

    Related articles to housing disrepair

    Open chat
    Scan the code
    SilverOak Solicitors
    Hello, how can we help you?